Grade 5 Technology Full Year Course
Fifth grade technology class builds on the foundations created in the previous years. The students continue their journey to be 21st century learners. All students are assigned to their own individual chromebook. Students begin the year by learning digital citizenship and responsibility for caring for a personal device, as well as, usernames and passwords for all the districts’ digital platforms. The students continue through a journey of exploring digital content and evaluating sources and creating their own online content. The course focuses on elements when creating content to insure proper intellectual respect is being taken. Students apply search skills and begin to evaluate and analyze information. Students take the time to format presentations and revise each others work to utilize all the different digital tools available. The students begin to create different types of material including spreadsheets, inputting data, and create graphs to be used in multiple subjects. Computational thinking is weaved into a unit on coding where students create algorithms to solve online puzzles and create animations and games using several online programs. Overall, the goal of this course is students become confident independent learners that are able to work through the digital world in a safe and successful way.
Grade 6 Cycle - Digital Citizenship, Data Analysis, & Coding
- Everfi~Ignition Digital Literacy & Responsibility™ Learning modules, each with pre and post assessments
- Modules include: Connections and Community, Safety and Privacy, Screen Time vs. Offline Time, Technology and Data
- Looking at how students interact with technology in the world around them, focusing on digital wellness and safety.
- Focus on Google Sheets - creating ways to collect data, using formulas & analyzing data
- Research technology and its impact on society and create an infographic.
Grade 7 Cycle - Coding, Robots & Design Thinking
- Code.org - Express Course: The course teaches the foundational concepts of programming.
- Scratch by MIT use of block coding to create games, digital stories etc.
- EZ-Robots: Provides a platform that scales between beginner and advanced users. Students will code robots to help solve a problem. Students will follow the Design Thinking Process as they program robots to complete a specific task.
- EZ-Robots: Provides a platform that scales between beginner and advanced users. Users are taught logic, soldering, electronics and modular design all while modifying a toy shell into a Personal Robot. We will design robots and programs to help solve a problem.
- Digital Compass - A program designed to allow students to experience real world problems in the digital world.
Grade 8 Intro to Computer Science:
- Learners will be able to articulate what interests and excites them about computer science.
- Describe three types of careers that use computer science.
- Choose one area of computer science that why would like to learn more about
- Identify one problem that can be solved with computer science.
- MIT App Builder - MIT App Inventor is an intuitive, visual programming environment that allows everyone to build fully functional apps for smartphones and tablets. The MIT App Inventor project seeks to democratize software development by empowering all people, especially young people, to move from technology consumption to technology creation.